When it comes to choosing the right lighting for outdoor settings, you need to be aware of certain environmental factors. If you are looking for fixtures for an area near the beach, you need to install coastal wildlife lighting to ensure a safe solution. We carry outdoor lighting solutions that are approved for use in areas within close proximity to sea turtle habitats.
Coastal Wildlife Lighting Information:
- The wrong kind of lighting can be deadly to baby sea turtles (an endangered species) because the blue wavelengths of most lights misdirect them away from the water after they hatch.
- All coastal area lighting should be amber in color to avoid this sad outcome.
- If you are not sure if there are sea turtle nests in your area by the coast, it is best to just assume there are because sea turtles can nest anywhere along the coast.
- These are outdoor rated lights so they are made durable and long-lasting terms of construction and material. They come with all the necessary ratings to ensure a long-lasting solution capable of withstanding elements, especially the precarious weather of the coast rife with hurricanes, wind, rain, and salt.
- This type of lighting comes in several styles of forms to help you get the right one. These fixtures include area lights, wall packs, and garage lights to make sure you get the illumination you need without harming these special endangered animals.
To understand why you need a specialized lighting solution, you need to understand the basics of the sea turtle. Female sea turtles only leave the water to nest and lay their eggs in the sand. They usually do this at night under cover of darkness. After spending 1-2 months in the sand, the hatchlings emerge and crawl to the brightest horizon which is normally the shoreline. Under natural conditions, the moon and stars illuminate the ocean which is used by the hatchlings as a point of reference for the direction towards the water. The wrong types of light can confuse or disorient them and send them in the wrong direction with a fatal outcome. Since sea turtles are considered an endangered species at risk for dying out, it is more important than ever to install the right coastal wildlife lighting.
We offer several options for adding coastal wildlife lighting to your location. The amber LEDs used in our fixtures ensures that light pollution will not interfere with nesting and hatching patterns. The amber light source produces a narrower spectrum by omitting blue light that the sea turtles would otherwise confuse as moonlight. Designed to replace older HID and metal halide fixtures for a safer alternative, these fixtures meet all the goals of coastal wildlife lighting while still giving you options to meet your needs. Choose from a range of wattages such as 22W to 112W, as well as various lumen outputs. Made to be durable, these fixtures carry all the necessary ratings and listings for outdoor lighting to ensure a long-lasting solution. If you have any questions regarding these solutions, please contact us for further assistance today.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Coastal Wildlife Lighting?
Coastal Wildlife Lighting is outdoor lighting that is amber in color and is used in coastal areas to prevent newly hatched sea turtles from mistaking artificial light for natural light. After they hatch on the beach, usually at night, the baby sea turtles need to move towards the water which is illuminated by the moon and the stars. Unfortunately, artificial lights can confuse and disorient them, causing them to go in the wrong direction. The amber light used in these fixtures uses a narrower spectrum by omitting blue light that the turtles might otherwise confuse with moonlight.
Where is Coastal Wildlife Lighting used?
Coastal Wildlife Lighting is used anywhere near coastal beach areas. This includes businesses, homes and parking lots or garages.
What are the different types of Coastal Wildlife Lighting?
Types of Coastal Wildlife Lighting include flood lights, wall packs, area lights, canopy lights and garage lights. In some cases, a baffle is used to project light downwards so that it is more concentrated and see from a distance.
What are the benefits of LED Coastal Wildlife Lighting?
LED Coastal Wildlife Lights offer many benefits. These fixtures are instant-on when powered up, they do not flicker or need to warm up. The light is uniform and tends not to degrade over time. LED lights do not generate as much heat as fluorescent lights. They have a very long life and are more efficient than other lighting options.